I have written a product review of the Dremel 3D20 here, its overall a very good printer. I have been using it for some time now and Im really please.
It does have one really bad attribute, the fact it can only use Dremel filament. There is a huge cost to this problem, Dremel filament cost around $140 AUD for half a kilogram. Looking on Ebay you will find 1KG for around $20, so the price difference is HUGE.
Whats stopping you from using aftermarket filament? Nothing really except the housing in the Dremel. Its built to only take a Dremel drum.
So…. To get around this problem you can print new housing which will hold the drum higher, these plans are available to download. Problem is there are many different sized drums available too, I fixed this by designing a spacer which accommodates for the drums I purchased.
I have included photos of the different parts and also a step by step instructions on how to perform the upgrade. Here is the link to the .stl plans which I used to print the new bracket. I have submitted my plans here.
I have been using the new hacked system for some weeks now, its flawless. The only thing you may need to take in to consideration is the new filament you purchase. I noticed that it did not stick well during my prints, it also left a lot of the edges stringy. The work around for this was to increase the temperature from 220 to 230 degrees, the results were instant. I think this is the case with all 3D printers. You will need to make these adjustments to improve your designs.
The finished product feels and performs superior to the original which comes across as a little small and flimsy.
You will notice the picture on the right that the drum sits too low, thats why we printed the addition spacer which I designed. This lifts the drum above the floor level to allow the filament to flow easy.
This guys has performed a step-by-step video on youtube on how to perform the upgrade, very detailed and informative. Watch it here.
Also, this is a link to the ebay filament which I purchased, its around $20 per 1kg. This is really cheap, and as mentioned earlier works well for me. Link here.
Here is a quick breakdown of the effort required, use the photos as a guide but the youtube clips explains it well.
01. Remove the back cover underneath.
02. Once removed, locate the holder, its hidden a little.
03. These are the screws you need to remove.
04. This is what the spacer looks like.
Its not a huge job, overall it will take around 5 minutes. Well worth the effort.